Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

I've decorated my home and wrapped all the gifts. I've taken the clan to church and said my many thank-yous. I've fed the family and some friends: smoked Cornish game hens, roasted winter vegetables with cranberries, pear-and-chestnut stuffing, and pot de cremes. I've tucked in my older daughter and sung Silent Night and The First Noel and Away in a Manger. We are now performing Santa duties, hiding stocking gifts from each other in a last attempt to be sneaky.

It's so different to be a grown-up at Christmas, even more different to be a parent. But I love this new role, love being the family member to host the big dinner, and the mom who picks out the most asked-for gifts. Christmas is magical for a new reason now: no longer about gifts and wants, now focused instead on giving, hosting, pleasing, loving. It is a fulfilling holiday, a reflective one, a joyful one.

Tidings of comfort and joy to you and your families. I hope your Christmas is magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment