Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fighting Amongst Ourselves

The Time cover story showing a mother breastfeeding her three-year-old son, along with the fall-out from that article about attachment parenting, has the interwebs in a flurry. Mommy-bloggers and opinionated folks of all sorts are using this as the latest vehicle to promote their own ways of parenting while tearing down those who make other choices. These arguments are not new. Since I became pregnant 3+ years ago, and when I started researching midwifery/natural childbirth almost a decade before that, I've been frustrated, pained and gobsmacked by the level of judgment and cruelty that mothers will inflict upon one another.

I could go on and on about how disturbing I find this trend, but a lovely woman in my local circle of moms already said it quite well. So I encourage you to go visit her Mother's Day Manifesto for a little deep breathing and enlightenment.

And to all mothers out there, kudos to you for doing what you do. It's the hardest job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment